My quest for a non-coffee caffeine beverage has been a difficult one. Here are my past contenders:
- Mountain Dew. Doesn’t taste very good and includes a whole bunch of sugar.
- Diet Dew was tried for fewer calories but it tasted like Slurm.
- NOS energy drink. Barely acceptable taste, but has enough caffeine to keep me going on the worst of days. Full of sugar and bizarre chemicals.
- Green tea (I don’t like black tea very much). Bland. I make double-dose green tea because it’s pretty weak but it still doesn’t quite provide enough buzz. Has healthful qualities, though.
- Caffeinated water. I know it exists, but I have yet to find it on store shelves in Seattle. You can order it, but it’s silly to ship water across the country.
I give up, what’s the best low-calorie, non-coffee beverage for delivering caffeine to the brain? No mainlining. No pills. Gotta be drinkable and palatable.
FYI: My unofficial Web research on caffeine levels in drinks:
Green tea – 8-20 mg (1 cup)
Black tea – 25-100 mg (1 cup)
Mt. Dew – 55 mg (12 oz.)
Coffee – 80-150 mg (1 cup)
NOS energy drink – 187.6 mg (16 oz)
Starbucks Grande – 330 mg (16 oz)
Fixx Energy Shot – 400 mg (0.17 oz) Take two and notify next of kin.